Our Marine Environment
The marine environment of The Bahamas includes our open ocean, coral reefs, sea grass beds, mangroves, sandy & rocky shores and oceanic blue holes.
Healthy marine ecosystems
- enhance our biodiversity
- contribute to our food security
- provide jobs and revenue via our tourism, fisheries, and maritime sectors
- are a source of water, minerals and other resources (e.g. salt, aragonite )
- are integral to our cultural and recreational activities
- provide an engaging outdoor classroom for education and research
Main threats to our marine environment include
- Habitat Destruction – due mainly to coastal development
- Overfishing – including domestic and foreign poaching
- Invasive Species
- Anthropogenic Climate Change
With our culture and livelihoods so inextricably linked to the health of our oceans, it is imperative that we learn, share, and engage all stakeholders in taking care of our precious marine resources.
Photo credits: BREEF, Sandy Voegeli, Stuart Cove Fin Photo