It’s Officially Open Season for the Nassau Grouper
Let’s be responsible fishers and consumers.
Here are some of the fisheries regulations that are in place to protect this iconic species:
- Grouper and rockfish must weigh at least 3 lbs (approximately 17 inches in length) before being harvested.
- The use of SCUBA gear is prohibited while spearfishing.
- The use of fish traps without a self-destruct panel or less than minimum mesh size is prohibited.
- Spearfishing within one mile of New Providence or the southern coast of Grand Bahama and 200 yards of a family island is prohibited.
- Respect the boundaries of marine protected areas that serve as replenishment zones.
The annual Nassau grouper closed season was made into law in 2015, but enforcement remains a challenge.
Click here to read more about a loophole that needs to be addressed. There should be no sale of Nassau grouper during the closed season.
Help ensure that we have Fish for the Future!
Here is a BREEF Look at why protecting the spawning aggregations is so important.