Bahamas Environmental Steward Scholarship (BESS) is a partnership between BREEF and the Cape Eleuthera Island School to train the next generation of environmental leaders. The programme consists of a unique year-long work and study experience endorsed by the Ministry of Education that includes an engaging internship and a full scholarship gifted by the Cape Eleuthera Island School.
The BESS programme is for motivated graduating high school students between the ages of 15-18 who are interested in learning more about the environment, conservation and sustainable systems as they transition from high school to university studies. Since its inception 50 BESS Scholars from schools throughout the country have participated.
Application accepted from DEC 1st, 2022 to FEB 28th, 2023.
- Learn more about national/global issues in sustainable development
- Become part of conservation efforts in The Bahamas
- Participate in field research
- Develop your water skills (swim, snorkel, SCUBA)
- Training in First Aid & CPR
- Enhance your computer & public speaking skills
- Network with scientists and other professionals in the field
- Study marine ecology
- Prepare for college. (BESS alumni have attended unversity all around the word)
- Connect with the environment around you
What Does BESS Entail?
- A 100 day semester at The Island School in Cape Eleuthera.
- A 4-month paid internship at BREEF.
- 15-18 yrs old
- 2.50 Minimum GPA
- Bahamian citizen or eligible for Bahamian citizenship
- Demonstrate an interest in the environment and environmental sustainability
- Applicant must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19